905-753-2731 susan@potterystudio.ca

This might be a keeper .

They are out of the kiln and sitting on a shelf … the pots with dots and squiggles (which my friend Susan Lago called “sperm pots”).  They survived the firing by may not survive the hammer!


The light blue, one which accidentally took on the sperm decoration because of the shape of the knob on the lid, was a lesson in patience and underglaze preparation.  I wanted the base color to be fairly intense so it took three coats first,and then the dots and squiggles went on after that.  I didn’t think they were dramatic enough and outlined them in black.  Would I do it like that again?  Hell no!  Next time the base color will be done with slip that I can dip, and then the decoration with underglazes won’t take so long … 


Lotus teapot

Oldie, done in lowfire.

This little lotus teapot is a two cupper, and was made with a specific person in mind.  It sits on lotus feet, and is a wee bit brighter in person than it is in this picture.  I was inspired by some of my first pots I did in low fire for this one.  As you can see, the experiment continues!  It is interesting though (to me anyway) how the shapes have been refined over the years …



Hammer time.

And, here it is … it’s hammer time!  That’s right.  This one will make a trip to #Anja #Hertle where it will become part of some great mosaic.  Some of the underglaze did not stick to the pot properly, some of it faded out, and the clear glaze was actually repelled in places.  


I’d be sad about this, but that’s the reason I make three of any experiment.  I figure when I’m first starting out with a series that I’m bound to lose one.  Like I said, two out of three ain’t bad …


The little experiment has given me some really good insights.  First, there are some underglazes that don’t really work well, at least not to cone 6 on my clay, and others that do really well.  Second, my clear glaze (Jessica’s fool proof) needs to go on a little thicker over the underglazes as they seem to decrease absorption.  Third, the clear glaze really works well on the unglazed portions of the pots with this clay.  It looks silky and fabulous (look at the inside of the sugar bowl in the sperm set), and I might even use it all by itself on some pots in the future.  I think it would make a great contrast with pieces done in the black clay … 


There I go, brain is already onto the next experiment!  Someday I’m going to settle down and get with the plot … just not today!


Hope you’re having a great day,

Susan McD